Skip to main content

ALONE in a Cemetery


This is another in my series describing being alone in places people don’t usually like to be alone. The last in the series was Alone in an Abandoned Prison. This time, it’s a cemetery. No, not a daytime visit. It was at nighttime, in a bad part of town, in a scary hidden cemetery, without a weapon, without a cell phone.

Yeah, that kind of scary…

I pull up to the sprawling cemetery before sunset. It’s halfway between light and dark and the last visitor leaves as I enter. I know the cemetery well, but never dreamed of going here at night alone or even in the day alone for that matter. It’s in an industrial part of town and very remote feeling.

If I scream, no one would come.

But, something about going to this cemetery alone instead of with my usual entourage is a rush. It’s a form of proving that I’m fearless when it came to ghost hunting. However, I also know I’m very mortal, so my senses are in overdrive.

Although the entry is green and shady, it’s bordered by tall oleander hedges that block off the main part of the cemetery which is pure desert, hard packed dirt and mesquite trees, blocking whatever is inside there completely from any view by outsiders.

Several times at the cemetery I’ve run into homeless men sleeping in the crematorium labyrinth and john’s picking up prostitutes. No doubt they took them in their car somewhere on the grounds to do the deed. Another not so reassuring sign, but is a test of my mettle, so I continue on.

I remind myself this won’t be a regular practice, it’s a one-time deal going alone in the dark here. It’s just me facing one more obstacle to fear and one more triumph in personal confidence. I've learned over the years that what screws people up on ghost hunts is that when it comes down to something shocking or something perhaps threatening, folks who have an inner voice that tells them they can't handle it; can't handle it. Those who feel like whatever comes down the pike, they'll deal with it are the ones who do well. So, I am working that muscle as I periodically do.

I pull down a narrow row and park my car, studying the cemetery for other vehicles or anything moving, I find I am well and truly alone. It should be a relief, but it isn’t. Never have I felt so alone.

When no one knows you’re there and no one else is there—do you still exist?

In that moment at dusk when the last bits of light are squeezed right out of the air and I’m left with only a charcoal setting with shapeless contents, I sit down atop of a cement slab and retie my sneaker while I get a feel for the air around me, the bushes, the last bits I can squint and see to help direct my safety.

Funny, how I’m not thinking about shadowpeople or spirit activity, but am instead obsessed with my fear of mortals. This happens often in ghost hunts. I am more afraid of who I might run into in an abandoned setting than any paranormal activities. In fact, I’m very comfortable with all things paranormal, no matter how unexpected. I’m like a kid in glee, but not when it comes to humans. I maybe an athletic 5’8” woman and have some handy self defense training and a quick mind, but I am as mortal as any other person in such a lonely place. So, I use both my psychic senses and my 5 senses to be alert to changes.

There is a part of me that prods at weak spots hoping to strengthen them and daring the world to bring me one more unknown to handle, as I have handled so many in my past. So, I push off and walk across the crusty hard baked desert, weaving between the headstones with no intentions of returning until it was good and dark.

The car gets further and further away from me and I became naturally unsettled. I can still sprint to it in time if someone drives into the cemetery, but a few steps more and I would be better off hiding until they left. Except, they’d see my car and know someone’s here and the hunt would begin. I recall the entire cemetery, a place I know like the back of my hand, to recall the ideal hiding place no one would look but then it’s acres away from where I am now.

Determined to do what I came here to do, I stop at a headstone and hold out a pendulum, asking the occupant a few simple questions. A gust of unexpected wind blows my hair above my head and sandblasts the backs of my legs with dusty grit. I turn and squint towards the direction of the car but the night has blanketed it into anonymity.

In fact, standing in the middle of all the strangely glowing headstones, I have lost my internal compass.

Without a light, I wander along the pathway laid down for cars. Dark shapes of trees hanging overhead help me to find where the path leads. When I get to the opening at the end of the roadway, I’m on a small hill. I know for sure which end of the cemetery I’m at and it’s probably 2 blocks’ distance to my car.

Stopping all panicking desire to find the safety of my car, I stand and study the darkness, listening keenly as the breeze rustles the trees nearby and the constant rush of cars on the freeway a quarter mile away. My eyes begin to adjust to the different levels of darkness and I notice a light go on perhaps two blocks away. I begin to walk towards it curiously. I have the darkness to cloak me, so suddenly I feel quite brave.

I hear the sound of an engine and I realize that someone has started up a car near the edge of the cemetery where people often go and dump trash. I stand for a moment, completely caught. Do I hide? Do I run and trip over headstones in the dark to find my car? As the truck turns the corner and the lights begin to hit the main roadway through the cemetery, I rush behind the cistern and hide.

So long as the truck doesn’t turn down the small roadway where my car is, they won’t know I’m here. Will they?


It rolls past me slowly and I watch the headlights as it goes towards the rear exit of the cemetery. There is no time to wonder if they will come back, I rush off down a narrow pathway, hands in front of my face to keep the invisible tree limbs from slapping me. I didn’t bring my purse so I wouldn’t get robbed. I didn’t bring a flashlight so no one would see me there.

Suddenly, I have the overwhelming sensation of someone having a dream of being naked in a public place.

The truck has turned down one of the narrow roadways and I can’t even tell if it’s the one my car is parked at, but as I’m huffing and rushing wildly in the opaque night, I see the headlights and it’s not illuminating my red car. Well, not fully. Mine is apparently one roadway over and the lights do hit it from the side as it rolls slowly. The fact that the truck was sitting so long, started up, and is now strolling through the cemetery is not a good sign.

My heart is pounding and I’m cursing myself, “I will never do this again! I swear I won’t!”

I turn a corner and am now less than a block away from my car as the truck has stopped on the nearby roadway. A door opens and someone gets out.

Damn!

I stop and assess my options. I have my car key in my pocket and the alarm button but no one is going to hear that if I set it off, except the bozo who climbed out of the passenger seat not 30 feet from my car.

Well, I decide, I can’t do anything from this far away. My car equals safety. I must get to my car. I have nowhere else to run and if I hide, they will find me or sit with my car and wait for me.

Until sunrise…

So, I duck behind a large gnarled tree and peek around, trying to make out what the man is doing. Then, I hear it. The sound of a tin can hitting the ground.

They’re drinking. Just freaking great!

I edge my way up a bit closer by going between a row of tall headstones. Everything is dark, but the headstones glow in the nighttime. I stop and listen again. I can hear voices rising in some kind of bickering. Someone lets out a loud laugh. The engine is still running. I can see someone in the driver’s seat, but the other guy seems to be sitting on the hood, the passenger door is open, the cab inside lit. I look around for others. It seems to be only two of them.

Not that it’s any reassurance, but at this moment, I’m focused just on them and someone could easily come up on me.

Realizing how I’ve focused on just them, I stop and turn around, squinting into the darkness around me. Something scuffles between the headstones. I know cats love cemeteries and, although I’ve never seen any in this graveyard, I want to assume that’s what it is. I don’t need to think about the next obvious thing; javelinas.

Then the man inside the truck blares his horn and I jump up in fright.


My head shifts back and forth between the laughing men tossing yet another beer can and the thing shuffling between the headstones behind me. The shuffler gets my attention. I have yet to come face to face with a javelina but they usually travel in packs and it’s not a pleasant confrontation.

The cemetery goes completely silent. I close my eyes, afraid of what I will find. The men in the truck have turned out the lights and turned off the engine. Now, I have absolutely no way of knowing where they are or what they’re doing. I have no flashlight. I have nothing but my car keys.

The clouds part momentarily and a sliver of moonlight casts the area in a pale light. I look behind me to see something leaning out from behind a headstone a good 10 feet away from me. I literally jump back. Did one of the men sneak up on me? It darts back behind the weathered headstone and I can’t help myself. I need to know. Every hair on my body stands on end and every psychic sense I possess tells me that this is not a human.

I step forward and look behind the headstone, holding my breath. Nothing! No one and nothing. I look around while the moonlight is more exposed by a large gap in the clouds. I wander behind the headstones looking down the rows.

There is no sign of anything.

If I weren’t so concerned about the drunks in the pickup truck, I’d pull out my pendulum or attempt a communication. Whatever it was, it seems as scared as I am. The truck glows pale in the moonlight and I can see a dark shape on the hood sitting down and what looks like someone’s head on the other side outside of the truck now.

Without their lights on, they won’t see me once the clouds cover the moon again.

I sit down and wait. Then, I begin the self lecture about going to cemeteries alone at night with no protection. I know what I was trying to prove to myself that, because I thought it and it scared me, I now need to do it. I tend to bully myself a lot. I had an older brother I shadowed everywhere and tried to compete with and neighborhood boys I liked to kill in basketball and other sports. I learned early on to ask myself “but why can’t I do it?” whenever I thought I couldn’t do something because it was too risky or too hard. It made me mad to have confines and parameters. Perhaps it was the southern upbringing that told me what the ladies could and could not do and had my mom wanting me to retire my sneakers after I got my first period.

Whatever the insane reason that made me do this endeavor, when I get out of here, I will never do this again!

I take a few gulps of air, study the sky, watching the silvery cloud blot out half the sliver moon and then the entire thing. I study the faint glow of the truck in the distance and head forward with long, gentle steps towards my car. Unconsciously, I’m crouching down, even though my hair is dark at night and my clothes are thankfully dark. I grasp the keys in my pocket, making my escape a reality. Trying to push away thoughts of my car not starting or some other catastrophe, I plan my triumph.

I know they lock the front gate after dark. I have to take the back way out the cemetery and thankfully my car is facing the exit road and their truck is not.

A row of gravel before me makes me stop in my tracks. One of the men snorts with laughter and I hear a background noise and realize they’re running the radio and the interior lights in the cab and thankfully, a good 30 feet from my car and not able to illuminate it. I hold my controller in my hand ready to hit the panic button and scare them if they bother me. Then, I realize I might hit it by accident and alert them. I switch and put my finger over the unlock button.

I tiptoe over the gravel, my foot sinking in with the crumbling dry earth beneath. I stop, holding my breath. The music is still playing and murmuring voices still talking. I’m a good 10 feet away from my car now and I can see it. It never looked so beautiful. I hold my breath again as I hit the unlock button, race for the door and swoop myself inside, hit the lock button and slip the key in to start immediately. I don’t fasten my belt, I roll the car forward towards the exit road and then turn on the lights.

In my rear view mirror I see the headlights on the truck turn on.

My heart is pounding. Are they going to follow me now? My mind is racing to the best public place to stop for help and a phone. I recall the nearest police station, a lot of long dark miles of roadway from here. So, I sit at the light and wait and watch my rearview mirror. The truck pulls up behind me, the bright lights blaring into my back window and blinding me. I tilt my rearview mirror away and pray for the light to turn green. It does! I dart off to the left, not thinking. Yeah, that takes me towards home, but it also takes me through the toughest most unlit neighborhood. If I were to break down for some reason, I’d be left to walk to a phone by myself.

I know I am anti-cell-phone but this one time I wish I had caved in to popular culture.


I swing left for the short green light and watch as the truck turns right.

Sighing with relief, I head home, still frazzled, still berating myself and then realizing that I missed my ghostly opportunity because of the yahoo shit kickers. Then, I recall the glimpse of the dark thing darting behind the headstones and I smile with satisfaction. Apparently, for me humans are much more horrifying than any dark shapes in a graveyard.

Note: I have never done this again and do not plan to do it, but I also don’t regret doing it. I learned a lot about myself and how my mind works in an emergency situation. I feel confident that with my wits and puzzle solving skills I can have a better chance of surviving such encounters, but by having such encounters more often, I would statistically up my chances of a bad outcome.

Oh, and once again I beat the boys!

Comments

RELATED POST

Don Monroe Case Files: Unusual Carving Unearthed!

Life-long explorer, adventurer and researcher, Don Monroe, has a million stories to tell, only he's been on the road nonstop, busy hiking the back country in dozens of countries, climbing the highest peaks and crawling in the deepest caves to understand this natural world we live in. He has hunted, tracked, trapped, cast footprints, talked to Native people, continued several-decade long ongoing research projects, devoured tons of research books, and ultimately sought answers about every aspect of nature and all the mysteries within. During those travels, he came across many unusual things. What I am presenting now is one of them -  Don Monroe and a researcher friend named Massey, were up at about 7000 feet on Anaconda Range in Montana. They were tracking a bear when Don noted something sticking out of the ground, just a bit of something, but didn't look like a regular rock.  In this remote area at that elevation, the idea of running across something man-made was unlikely. He s...

Cemetery Safety Bells, Morbid Death Mementos and Superstitions

(funeral memento - above - with woven hair of the dead included) Giving up our dead is never an easy task and it doesn't matter what region of the world or what era you grew up in, it's full of rituals and also many superstitions. Let's have a look at how we have handled death -   (cemetery bell system - above) During the cholera epidemic in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, people feared being buried when they weren't completely dead. Many reported digging up graves of loved ones to find signs they fought inside the coffin to get out. As this would nearly be an impossibility with the weight of the earth on the coffin and lack of oxygen, the rumors did start hysteria. Patents were put out for these bells that would allow the newly awakened buried person to pull a string, ring a bell above ground that the groundskeeper could hear. Imagine how freaking chilling that would be to actually hear one go off? I had an idea for a zombie story about that but never got aroun...

The Urban Sasquatch Journal: Stick Glyphs

This is the reporting by a Bigfoot researcher of an ongoing study in the Southern part of the United States in a very large park area near homes and urban setting. LINK TO PRIOR INSTALLMENTS STARTING WITH #1 Journal Volume 3 Report #50 Saturday November 26, 2016 I arrived at the park approximately 9:52 AM. The temperature was 65 and cool. It was partly cloudy with high clouds. I had my bike with me and rode the trail first. This took 44 minutes. I was back to back to my car at 10:48 AM. I then got my pack then rode over to the site. The goal of the trail ride was to observe any new tree breaks, twists or limbs etc. broke over the trail. Also to see if any stick signs were along the trail in the grass. I did observe several interesting items on the east end. These I photographed. Trail ride observations with photos. These cover photos 1-8. #1. thru #3. Between mile markers 2.75 and 3.0 , on the north side of the trail, approximately 10' inside the treeline, these possible stick ...

Monsters in the Deepest Ocean!

The ocean takes up the majority of the surface on our world and yet so little of what is in it is known to us. Upon occasion, we come across some real mysteries, tantalizing glimpses that make us wonder. For a long time, the giant squid (above) was a legend until it was finally filmed underwater. What other legends might tell us what is in the sea? One creative thinker in 1570 drew up the sea monsters that lay in the waters outside of Iceland. Scientist and artist, Abraham Ortelius had some very fanciful ideas of what awaited the seafarer. He also pondered what might live in the Pacific Ocean. In 1644, another artist/scientist drew up what he thought might lurk in the waters off of Africa. Willem Blaeu had quite an interesting vision. In 1727, Peter Kolb envisioned a sea lion of interesting characteristics - In present day, we still run across things in the sea that puzzle us. Here is one such thing photographed at Hook Island. It was estimated to be 75-80 feet long and to this day the...

Obscure Horror Movies of the 70s and 80s

The 1970s and 1980s were horror movie lovers' heaven! There were movies about nature turning on man because of pollution, witches, devil worshippers, killers, insanity, revenge, demons, families moving into haunted houses, beasts attacking, and teens being slashed.  You might have missed some of the more obscure ones in the offering -  *Descriptions thanks to my favorite movie site IMDB (The Food of the Gods - 1976) The Food of the Gods:  A group of friends travel to a remote Canadian island to hunt, only to be attacked by giant killer animals which have populated the place. The People:   Kim Darby and William Shatner star in this 1972 made-for-tv movie. A woman is sent to a secluded valley to teach school to the reclusive residents' children. The citizens start showing some odd skills and pretty soon the teacher begins to wonder if the residents are human.  The Initiation:   Daphne Zuniga stars in this 1984 slasher that takes place during an initiation sta...

Terror of Doll Island!

Photo source Isla de las Munecas or "Island of the Dolls" (popularly coined "Doll Island") is a thing of horror for many. Why would an island filled with dolls for decades, laid to waste by the elements and neglect, be terrifying? Well, let me introduce you to its most unsettling beginnings. Don Julian Santana was unhappy with city life and moved to an island on a canalway south of Mexico City for peace and quiet. It was there that the legend begins and takes on a life that is animated enough to bring the dead to life. Don reported that a little girl had drowned in the canal 50 years ago and he believed her spirit to be troubled and haunting his little island.  He said that he was out one day when he saw a doll floating in the canal and scooped it out, hanging it up on a tree near the drowning spot to make the girl eternally happy so she would not haunt and scare him.  He then became consumed with finding more and more dolls, fishing them out of the canal, sorting t...

Scary and Precarious Roads!

Summer road trip time - why not consider scaring the crap out of your family? The road to Big Sur (above) is sure to separate boys from men.  Highway 1  is an intense cliff hugging drive along the coast for 122 miles from Monterey to Morro Bay. Independence Pass from Aspen to Leadville in Colorado.   Highway 82  is a 187-mile white knuckler. And if that's not enough, you take the over 1000-foot tall highest suspension bridge in the world! Great Smoky Mountains National Park "Tail of the Dragon" in North Carolina/Tennessee  Highway 129  takes you on 11 miles of awesome views. Clinton Road , Passaic County, New Jersey.   Seriously paranormal , " If you are visiting the road at midnight, stop by the bridge at Dead Man’s Curve for a game of catch. Toss pennies into the water, and the ghost of a young boy will toss them back.  A gray wolf with red eyes will stalk you from the bushes.  Satan worshippers will hang hang up their bloody clot...

Ghost Ships and Fata Morgana Mirages

Fata Morgana   Fata Morgana is a complex superior mirage. In this instance, in the horizon a narrow band seen can separate an image, casting what looks like another image superior to the original object. In the image above it appears as if the ship is in the air. Below, the image shows a repeat of it up in the air. Sometimes, the image can be inverted. This occurs when rays of light are bent when they pass through layers that are different temperatures.  Flying Dutchman This legend is talked about among sailors since the late 1700s. The tale says that there was a ship's captain sailing around the most dangerous ocean strait, the Cape of Good Hope. He cursed the elements and swore he would make it no matter what. The ship went down and all perished, but they are said to continue as a ghost ship for eternity in the region of the Southern tip of Africa because of the arrogance. In fact, the legend was picked up and modified for many countries and many sea locations. Perhaps it wa...

Present Day Russian Neanderthal?

Regions with Bigfoot-type bipedal creatures have their own local names for these types. In Russia and Siberia, they are referred to as the Almas by the Mongolian people and Almasty by the Russians. These beings are described as between 5 feet tall and 6-1/2 feet tall; much shorter than the typical American Bigfoot. They are said to have reddish brown hair, flat noses, a pronounced brow ridge, and weak chin. This is a classic Neanderthal face. One thing we don't know about Neanderthal is if they were hair covered. With hundreds of thousands of years to adapt to the climate of the Altai mountains and cold northern regions, they likely were.  A boy in Russia ( LINK ) found some prints that were attributed to a possible yeti.  When you look at it, however, it resembles a Neanderthal print quite a bit with the pronounced inner curve and the angle from big to little. Could Neanderthal still exist in Russia and Mongolia? It would be as likely as my theory that the Bigfoot are d...

The Most Bizarre Photographic Finds On Mars!

Mars explorers have sent back photos of some rather unusual, sometimes vague, and often times puzzling items on the surface of the "dead" planet.  This has us wondering, if our own planet no longer supported life, would all the evidence of our having been here be covered up by a millennia of earth, leaving only the occasional hint someone might have been here? Here's a look at a large gallery of photos from the red planet. You come to your own conclusions.... Th e one above, I will chalk up to optical illusion. The stone is actually on the ground in the distance. In the foreground is a rock casting a shadow.  Are we looking at a planet that seems to be dead and yet it has a history of life? What if a civilization that was quite advanced had the opportunity to leave a sick planet for a healthy one not so far away in terms of space travel? Is Mars a planet that never supported life or is it a planet that sustained life long enough to build an entire civilization now buried ...